Step One: Create a Trip
Once you login you can create a new trip or edit existing trips. Set your trip name, description, privacy and dates before you begin.
Step Two: Add Items
Add items from our Places to Stay, Things to Do, Dining and Events sections to your trip by clicking the Add to Trip icon throughout the site or from within the Trip Planner.
Step Three: Print and Share
Print details of your trip and share your trip with friends on your favorite social network or via email.
Best Places to Ice Fish in Wisconsin: Lac Vieux Desert
Last Updated: 2/6/2014
Lac Vieux Desert is the headwaters for the Wisconsin River and is noted for its excellent muskie, walleye and perch fishing. The lake is considered a boundary water, since it lies both in Michigan and Wisconsin. Anglers can legally fish the entire lake with a license from either state. Special rules and fishing regulations exist due to the dual state management of the lake. Check with either the Michigan or Wisconsin fishing regulation book for current rules.
Interactive Lake Map
For a more detailed lake map and up to the minute fishing reports connect with the Lac Vieux Desert waterway page on Fishidy.
Here are some tips for locating and catching fish through the ice on Lac Vieux Desert:
- Winter generally produces the largest catches of perch. Misery Bay, Indian Bay, Slaughter Bay and the weed beds on the west side of the lake are key perch areas. Small jigging spoons tipped with a perch eye or wax worm are effective. White, chartreuse, brass and silver are good colors for jigs and spoons.
- Good crappie action is available during the late ice season. Concentrate on areas that contain green weed growth. Small jigs or spoons tipped with small fathead minnows are preferred.
- Misery Bay is one of the first bays to develop safe ice. Anglers work the weed edge and shallow water for perch and northern pike.
- The weedy flat south of Long Point is productive during the ice fishing season for perch and northern pike.
- In Outlet Bay tip-ups rigged with large golden shiners are used by ice anglers for northern pike. Due to moving water, exercise extreme caution while ice fishing.
- Along the west shore tip-ups can be used along the reed edge for walleye and northern pike during the ice season. As the season progresses, move out toward the 10-foot break. Perch can be found throughout the area.
- Indian Bay is a year round producer of a variety of species. This area also receives heavy ice fishing pressure for perch and northern pike. Many anglers prefer the weedy flats north of Lesleys and Draper islands during the early ice season.