Let’s take a little break from spring-cleaning for a bit and have some fun, shall we? Shake off the winter blues and explore a handful of awesome Wisconsin festivals, activities and destinations. Here are 14 ideas you should have on your tulip-lovin’, sunshine-cravin’ radar this season:
- Warm up your throwing arm at one of 205 public disc golf courses in Wisconsin.
- Hit up a farmer’s market. ‘Tis the season to stock up on fresh tomatoes, local honey and Stella’s Hot & Spicy cheese bread!
- Spot the lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) and other fascinating fauna at the Henry Vilas Zoo, Milwaukee County Zoo, NEW Zoo or Racine Zoo among others.
- Burn calories, have fun; Register for a marathon or run/walk in Wisconsin. There’s the Color Run in Racine, Walk Wisconsin in Stevens Point, Cellcom Marathon in Green Bay and The Oz Run at Irvine Park in Chippewa Falls where you’ll be sure to see plenty of ruby red… sneakers?
- Take a leisurely ride on the Wisconsin Great Northern Train from Spooner to Springbrook.
- Load up on cheese and brats, and get into America’s Pastime while visiting Miller Park or one of the state’s other dozens of semi-pro baseball parks.
- Attend a springtime festival such as the Prairie Fling in Sarona, Belle City Brewfest in Racine, Chequamegon Bay Birding and Natural Festival in Ashland or the Lawn Mower Races in Fifield (…yep, you read that right!).
- Stock up on s’mores ingredients and set up camp in your backyard…or head to one of Camping For The Fun Of It’s 13 kid-friendly campgrounds.
- Journey to the Capital City to enjoy some grub at one of Madison’s many outdoor dining establishments or popular food trucks.
- Take your family on a Morel Hunting excursion. (For the über-passionate morel enthusiasts, check out the Morel Mushroom Festival in Muscoda.)
- Turn back the clock and get lost in a featured film at a drive-in theater.
- Pack a lunch, pick a kite and plan a pleasure trip to one of Wisconsin’s many amazing state parks.
- Motorcycle through the winding roads of the Driftless Area, Platteville’s hilly countryside or Bayfield County’s scenic Northwoods. Add Bike Night at Harley-Davidson Museum to your motorcycling itinerary.
- Enjoy Wisconsin’s beautiful flora at one of many botanical gardens. (Psst: It’s free admission at Rotary Botanical Gardens May 9-11!)
You survived the Polar Vortex of 2014… now get out there and have some Wisconsin-style fun!
Mariah Haberman is one of the hosts of Discover Wisconsin, the nation’s longest-running travel TV show. She hails from Evansville, where she was brought up in a family of seven in a small farmhouse outside of town. Some of her favorite memories include Lake Michigan fishing trips with her Dad, showing sheep at the Rock County Fair and buzzing around the farm on an ATV with her little brother. Tweet her: @MariahHaberman