Ashland, at the foot of Chequamegon Bay, was once a center for lumbering, mining, brownstone quarrying, and Great Lakes shipping. Today, the town is known as “The Historic Mural Capital of the World.” Downtown, local historic figures are depicted in a series of huge murals located in the historic business district. A number of historic brownstone structures still grace Ashland’s streets. The City Hall, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is one of the most striking. Two miles west of town, the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center details the area’s regional history and culture in a series of wonderful exhibits.
Don't leave without tasting...
- Ashland’s award winning South Shore Brewery is the home of “Nut Brown Ale,” a microbrew that is one of the most popular brews in the Midwest.
- Artesian Well Water is a must stop in Ashland’s city parks where you will quench your thirst with natural spring water.
- Sixth Street Market with over 60 varieties of tasty homemade sausage.
- Gabriele’s Homemade German Cookies & Chocolates.
- Restaurants serve fresh Lake Superior fish. And you must try the tasty little Smelt Fish in the spring during the Annual Smelt Run!
Fishing? You’ll catch the big one if you...
Call the local bait shops and get the fishing scoop for the day. They know where to fish and can even guide you to the hot spots and popular fishing meccas right on the greatest of the Great Lakes, Lake Superior.
Only have one day to play here?
Everyone loves the waterfront trail that goes along the lakefront of Chequamegon Bay on Lake Superior and loops through town. Make a list and see it all! View the breathtaking sunsets! Bring the kids to the parks, hike, bike, kayak, canoe, boat and fish. Murals are a must see, and you will love shopping and dining. Fill your water bottles with artesian well water, stop at the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center, smell the clean air and above all enjoy the friendly people!
Must see attractions:
- Ashland is the Historic Mural Capitol of Wisconsin with 12 life-sized murals depicting our history found on the outside of Ashland businesses.
- Waterfront Trail - 10 Mile Looped trail running through Ashland.
Mark these events on your calendar:
- Book Across the Bay Cross Country Ski Race and Snow Shoe Trek
- Chequamegon Bay Birding and Nature Festival
- Apostle Islands Inline Marathon, ALMT, and Mad Skate on Madeline Island
- WhistleStop Marathon and Festival - a Boston qualifier
- Superior Vistas Bicycle Tour - Enjoy 7 options of beautiful scenic biking loops