Superior’s spectacular natural setting at the far western end of Lake Superior signals that a visit here holds special delights. The city’s deep-water harbor is an international inland ocean port linked to the Atlantic Ocean by the St. Lawrence Seaway.
A four-mile-long sand bar in the harbor affords wonderful bird watching, particularly during the spring and fall migrations. Fine sand beaches and a lighthouse are additional attractions.
Outside the city, the unspoiled landscape beckons with 431 lakes and the state's tallest waterfall, 165-foot-high Big Manitou Falls in Pattison State Park, only a 12-mile drive south of Superior.
Don't leave without tasting...
Make tracks for Thirsty Pagan Brewing, and try a Derailed Ale and a deliciously Derailed pizza. Taste an Anchor Burger, a longtime Superior tradition from the Anchor Bar, once described as “what I imagine it would have been like to dine in the galley of a pirate ship on Lake Superior.”
Step back in time where full-service and quality were standard at Eddie’s World Famous Ribs for melt-in-your-mouth BBQ ribs and wholesome home-made soups. Just outside of town discover unforgettable food like the Reconstructed Reuben at the Kounty Quarthouse that both in-laws and outlaws alike will love.
Top photo opportunity is...
- A visit to the Superior Entry Lighthouse provides a magnificent photo opportunity in any season. You could also get a close-up of an enormous ship as it passes through the entry.
- Focus on the magic and romance of the waterfalls at the Big and Little Manitou Falls or Amnicon Falls. Capture images of Wisconsin’s tallest waterfall or one of the last remaining Horton Bowstring Bridges and the outstanding natural scenery that surrounds them.
Explore your adventurous side
A leisurely float in your canoe or kayak along the upper Brule River becomes exhilarating when you hear the splashing sounds of the water as it spills over the rocks creating Class I rapids just around the bend. The paddler seeking whitewater will enjoy the thrill of shooting the Class II-III ledges and rapids on the lower section of the river. Is mountain biking more your thing? Test your endurance with the obstacle-ridden, single-track on the Pokegama Trail in the Superior Municipal Forest or with the leg burning climbs and screaming descents on the trails at Mont du Lac Recreation.
Must see attractions:
- Lake Superior at Wisconsin Point
- SS Meteor Maritime Museum, the last remaining Whaleback ship in the world
- Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center
- Fairlawn, the 42-room Victorian style mansion
- World of Accordions Museum
- World of Wheels indoor roller rink
Fishing? You’ll catch the big one if you...
Charter a fishing trip. Let those “in the know” set you up for a catch you’ll never forget as you reel in a monster Coho from the crisp, clean water on Lake Superior. Come see for yourself why 33,000 anglers per year make their way to fly fish the cool, clear waters of the Bois Brule River in search of that trophy Trout. Imagine the thrill of wrestling a 17 pound walleye through a 10” hole in the ice of the St. Louis Bay or the excitement of landing a 55” musky into your boat on Lake Amnicon.