Step One: Create a Trip
Step Two: Add Items
Step Three: Print and Share
Belgium, Wisconsin is truly “America’s New Luxembourg” as it is home to the international Luxembourg American Cultural Center and one of the largest populations of people of Luxembourg heritage in the United States. The Belgium area was settled in 1845 by Luxembourg immigrants from the border region of Belgium and Luxembourg. Remnants of this heritage abound including immigrant stone houses, Belgium’s historic downtown, and the old stone St. Mary’s Church. Belgium is also part of Wisconsin’s Ethnic Trail. In addition, Belgium is the proud home of Harrington Beach State Park and the Ozaukee Interurban Trail. Conveniently located off of I-43, just 30 miles north of Milwaukee, 8 miles north of Port Washington, and half way between Chicago and Door County, Belgium offers year round activity for visitors.
Mark these events on your calendar...
- Luxembourg Fest of America is celebrated annually the second weekend of August. Visitors from around the world enjoy a parade, music, heritage exhibits, arts and crafts fair and ethnic food including treipen (blood sausage) and kuchens (desserts).
- Hikes and Candlelight ski events at Harrington Beach State Park are planned throughout the year.
Must see attractions and activities...
- Belgium is home to the new, international Luxembourg American Cultural Center which opened in 2009. The Center includes a unique museum housed in the last Luxembourg stone barn built in 1872 as well as a large research center and gift shop. All are welcome to visit and learn more about heritage and immigration.
- Harrington Beach State Park features one of the finest, sandy beaches on Lake Michigan, a spectacular quarry lake, a Welcome Center, and beautiful hiking and snowmobiling trails. Wildlife and natural beauty abound. With a 75 unit campground and activities and events for young and old it is a great place to visit throughout the year.
- The northern leg of the Ozaukee Interurban Trail runs through the center of the Village of Belgium and has a well marked spur that leads to Harrington Beach State Park. The Interurban Trail provides bicyclists and pedestrians with a scenic and fun place to recreate.
Dining: Near Belgium