By Denice Ryan Martin
Special to TravelWisconsin.com
If you’ve dreamed of well-groomed trails, widespread trees and the cool air against you as you cruise down the trails on your sled, we have some perfect destinations that you must try, complete with rental options and spots to stay and dine.
Minocqua Snowmobile Vacations
Minocqua, a favorite destination for snowmobile enthusiasts, features more than 1,600 miles of snowmobile trails to trek. These trails traverse a magnificient natural environment including 1,300 frozen glacial lakes and 233,000 acres of public forestland.
The Bearskin State Trail connects to countless other trails in all directions, providing days and nights of super snowmobiling.
If you don’t want to worry about a map or would like to get to know the trails better, try Adventure North Snowmobile Tours. They give three-hour tours for riders of all levels. Rent their snowmobiles or bring your own.
Places to Stay in Minocqua
- Island Cove Resort on Lake Minocqua rents comfy condos and cabins with a snowmobile trail right outside your door. It’s walking distance to downtown’s restaurant and shopping district.
- Beacons of Minocqua is a lakeside, four-season condo and cabin resort with secure, off-shore sled parking. Families enjoy their sledding hill and skating rink as well as end of the day unwinding in the indoor pool, whirlpool and sauna.
- For a splash of fun, stay at The Waters of Minocqua. The indoor waterpark resort offers rustic décor guest suites and continental breakfast.
Places to Eat in Minocqua
- When you’re on the trail, make sure to stop by Slo’s Pub. Overlooking Big Arbor Vitae Lake, the pub offers hearty soups and sandwiches and a Friday fish fry.
- Tourists flock to the historic and always entertaining Thirsty Whale. Chow down on deep fried cheese curds or a juicy mushroom burger.
Snowmobile Rentals in Minocqua
Eagle River Snowmobile Vacations
Eagle River, aka “The Snowmobile Capital of the World,” is home to the International Snowmobile Hall of Fame. “The Eagle River 500” is a 500-mile meticulously groomed trail network taking riders throughout the Wisconsin Northwoods. Come see why snowmobilers return year after year to the area for great family fun. You'll find breathtaking scenery and some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.
Places to Stay in Eagle River
- Pitlik’s Sand Beach Resort is on the Sugar Camp Chain of Lakes. Choose a cozy cabin or stay in the rustic main lodge. Gather with friends at the resort’s friendly bar and restaurant for libations and dinner.
- Established in 1857, the celebrated Eagle Waters Resort & Kee Mi Con Lodge is on the Eagle River Chain of Lakes with easy access to the trails. Spacious condos and cabins can accommodate all sized groups.
Places to Eat in Eagle River
- Eddie B’s White Spruce Restaurant & Tavern is a popular stop on the trail. An extensive menu includes smoked ribs, chicken, pork chops and pastas.
- Chanticleer Inn on Voyageur Lake features steak, seafood and sandwiches prepared by their long time, award-winning chef.
Snowmobile Rentals in Eagle River
St. Germain Snowmobile Vacations
When the snow blankets the ground, it's time to fire up the sled in St. Germain. The number one activity in winter when the air is frosty, head out to the hundreds of precisely groomed trails available here.
Places to Stay in St. Germain
- Fath’s Big Woods Resort has been family owned and operated for over 43 years. Located on the shores of Big Germain Lake, each cottage comes complete with the amenities of home and provides access to the Bo-Boen snowmobile trail just steps from your front door.
Places to Eat in St. Germain
- Have a night out at Clearview Supper Club and sip on an old-fashioned at their rustic bar. This place owns the fact that they're settled in the Northwoods with their log interior. If you're on your way back from a day of riding, and looking for a bite to eat, Clearview is located right on the trails!
- For some of the best homemade pizza in the Northwoods, visit Knockers Pizza Company. With easy access to the area snowmobile trails, Knockers is a great place to stop in with the whole family. Plus, there's free WiFi if you need to catch up on the happenings after being on the sled all day.
Snowmobile Rentals in St. Germain