La Crosse River State Trail
A delightful 21.5-mile ride along the La Crosse River between Sparta and La Crosse. The trail is a middle link between the Elroy-Sparta Trail and the Great River Trail. On the way it runs close to an active rail line and a wave from the train engineers is always guaranteed. In Bangor, a short spur trail takes you to a pleasant town park. West Salem has a number of historic buildings including the home of Pulitzer Prize-winning author Hamlin Garland and the unique Palmer-Gullickson Octagon Home. In the mid-19th century, octagon houses were thought to be the ideal human habitation. The theory was promoted by a man named Orson Fowler. He also believed you could tell a person's character by the bumps on their head. Neither idea caught on as well as the bike trail.
Choose Your List(s)
- State and National Trails
- Trail Length (miles)
- Surface Type
- Crushed Rock
Travel Green Wisconsin Certified
Certified: (Req. 30 Points)
- Printers set to automatically duplex.
- Use low-flow water fixtures.
- Train and evaluate staff on sustainability practices.
- Conduct Focus on Energy audits/site assessments.
- Offer bicycles for use or rental.