Information may be out of date due to COVID-19. Please call the phone number listed below to confirm details.
Governor Nelson State Park
Park passes are required but are not being sold on-site. Please contact the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Customer Service Center to purchase passes: 888-305-0398, 8am-3pm daily or with questions: 1-888-936-7463, 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. daily.
A beautiful year round day-use State Park located on Lake Mendota where recreation and nature mingle within sight of the State Capitol. Effigy mounds can be seen on the Woodland Trail. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches (No lifeguard on beach), bird watching, or ease into country solitude. Winter activities include 5.2 miles of cross country ski trails, snowshoeing, and ice fishing. Call park for pet rules or for shelter reservations. 4 stall boat landing. Has adaptive equipment available for people with mobility impairment including sit skis for cross country skiing. Redtail Hawk Trail, 1.03 miles & Oak Savanna Trail, 1.65 miles, both are moderate difficulty, Groomed for traditional and skate ski, no pets. Woodland Trail, 1.18 miles, hard difficulty, groomed traditional only, no pets. Morningside Trail, 1.31 miles, easy difficulty, portions groomed for traditional and skate ski, pets allowed, snowshoes and hiking allowed.
Choose Your List(s)
- On Water
- Disabled Access
- Boating Services Available
- Pets Welcome/Inquire
- Fish Type
- Blue Gill
- Coho Salmon
- Lake Trout
- Northern Pike
- Rainbow Trout
- Smallmouth Bass
- Adaptive Equipment Available
- Cross-Country Skiing/Snowshoeing Trail Type
- Natural Attractions Type
- Parks, Forests, Trails
- Scenic Vistas
- Trail Length (miles)
- Ski Skating
- Fishing style
- Inland Lake / River
Travel Green Wisconsin Certified
Certified: (Req. 30 Points)
- Literature is printed on recycled paper.
- Replaced lighting with compact fluorescents.
- Self-guided, woodland trail brochure has a return box for reuse.
- Invasive species control is included in landscape restoration practices.
- Domestic hot water heating system is solar.
- Plastic dog waste bags were eliminated and replaced with biodegradable dog waste bags