Governor Nelson State Park
A beautiful year round day-use State Park located on Lake Mendota where recreation and nature mingle within sight of the State Capitol. Effigy mounds can be seen on the Woodland Trail. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches (No lifeguard on beach), bird watching, or ease into country solitude. Winter activities include cross country ski trails, snowshoeing, and ice fishing. Call park for pet rules or for shelter reservations. 4 stall boat landing. Has adaptive equipment available for people with mobility impairment including sit skis for cross country skiing.
Choose Your List(s)
- Disabled Access
- On Water
- Boating Services Available
- Fishing style
- Natural Attractions Type
- Parks, Forests, Trails
- Fish Type
- Blue Gill
- Coho Salmon
- Lake Trout
- Northern Pike
- Rainbow Trout
- Smallmouth Bass
- Adaptive Equipment Available
- Cross-Country Skiing/Snowshoeing Trail Type
- Trail Length (miles)
Travel Green Wisconsin Certified
Certified: (Req. 30 Points)
- Literature is printed on recycled paper.
- Replaced lighting with compact fluorescents.
- Self-guided, woodland trail brochure has a return box for reuse.
- Invasive species control is included in landscape restoration practices.
- Domestic hot water heating system is solar.
- Plastic dog waste bags were eliminated and replaced with biodegradable dog waste bags