Governor Nelson State Park
A beautiful year round day-use State Park located on Lake Mendota where recreation and nature mingle within sight of the State Capitol. Effigy mounds can be seen on the Woodland Trail. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches (No lifeguard on beach), bird watching, or ease into country solitude. Winter activities include cross country ski trails, snowshoeing, and ice fishing. Call park for pet rules or for shelter reservations. 4 stall boat landing. Has adaptive equipment available for people with mobility impairment including sit skis for cross country skiing.
Choose Your List(s)
- On Water
- Disabled Access
- Boating Services Available
- Cross-Country Skiing/Snowshoeing Trail Type
- Adaptive Equipment Available
- Trail Length (miles)
- Fishing style
- Fish Type
- Blue Gill
- Coho Salmon
- Lake Trout
- Northern Pike
- Rainbow Trout
- Smallmouth Bass
- Natural Attractions Type
- Parks, Forests, Trails
Art Cart EXTRA! 6/24/2017 - 7/29/2017 Madison - 11.95 miles away
People of the Woodlands: Wisconsin Indian Ways 11/06/2009 - 12/31/2019 Madison - 12.05 miles away
Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra's Concerts on the Square 6/28/2017 - 8/02/2017 Madison - 12.31 miles away
Tuesday is Cruiseday! 6/06/2017 - 8/29/2017 Lodi - 12.4 miles away
Olbrich's Blooming Butterflies 7/20/2017 - 8/13/2017 Madison - 13.64 miles away
Concerts on the Square 6/08/2017 - 8/24/2017 Baraboo - 21.96 miles away
Twilight at Taliesin 6/02/2017 - 9/29/2017 Spring Green - 24.36 miles away
Taliesin Imagine Mars Architecture Camp — Design a future colony on Mars 7/24/2017 - 7/28/2017 Spring Green - 24.36 miles away
Travel Green Wisconsin Certified
Certified: (Req. 30 Points)
To be certified through Travel Green Wisconsin, all participants must achieve at least 30 points on the Travel Green Wisconsin Checklist. The more points a business attains, the greener they are in their operations.
- Literature is printed on recycled paper.
- Replaced lighting with compact fluorescents.
- Self-guided, woodland trail brochure has a return box for reuse.
- Invasive species control is included in landscape restoration practices.
- Domestic hot water heating system is solar.
- Plastic dog waste bags were eliminated and replaced with biodegradable dog waste bags