Recognized as one of the best beaches in the Midwest, Racine’s North Beach feels like the West Coast and is a Certified Clean Beach. Downtown, the Racine Art Museum (RAM) houses one of North America’s top collections of contemporary crafts. Shop for your own art in any of several galleries or relax on the waterfront while sampling the city’s fine cuisine.
The city also boasts several sites of historic and architectural interest. The Wind Point Lighthouse, built in 1880, is both the tallest and oldest lighthouse still in use on Lake Michigan. Famed architect Frank Lloyd Wright designed the SC Johnson Wax Co. corporate headquarters. Nearby, the Golden Rondelle Theatre was dismantled and rebuilt in Racine at the close of the 1964 World’s Fair.
Don't leave without tasting...
- An authentic Danish kringle, a delicious pastry brought to Racine by Danish immigrants who settled here in the mid-19th century. Enjoy on at Bendtsen's Bakery, Larsen's Bakery, Lehmann's Bakery and O&H Danish Bakery.
- You'll also won't want to miss a burger at Kewpee Sandwich Shop, home-made ravioli at Salute and award-winning, thin-crust pizza at Wells Brothers Restaurant.
Top photo opportunities...
- Wind Point Lighthouse - this classic structure is the oldest and tallest working lighthouse on Lake Michigan.
- Racine's North Beach from the gazebo near Michigan Boulevard.
- Fortaleza Hall and the Golden Rondelle Theatre on the SC Johnson campus.
- Wingspread, a unique Prairie-style home in the Village of Wind Point designed by the legendary Frank Lloyd Wright for the H.F. Johnson family.
Mark these events on your calendar:
- The Color Run
- Spike 'n Splash at North Beach
- Waterford Balloon Festival
- Iron Man 70.3 Racine Triathlon
- The Biggest Loser Run/Walk
- Great Lake Brew Fest
- Party on the Pavement
- Skeleton Skamper
Only have one day to play here?
- Enjoy a hearty breakfast Downtown at Roberts Roost and then visit the Racine Art Museum with its renowned collection of contemporary crafts.
- Soak up some sun at North Beach, a Certified Blue Wave Clean Beach on Lake Michigan.
- Take a Lake Michigan fishing charter for Chinook and Coho salmon and rainbow, brown and lake trout.
- Shop at our specialty stores and galleries and grab a great meal at local spots like Ivanhoe, Salute, Yardarm, Corner House or the Summit.
Where the locals go...
- Music on the Monument and Waterford River Rhythms for free summer concerts.
- Kiwanis Pancake Day for all-you-eat pancakes.
- The Kilties Classic for drum and bugle corps competition.
- Racine Symphony Orchestra Summer Pops concerts.
- Ethnic festivals (Greek, Armenian, Serbian) for delicious, authentic food.
- Animal Crackers Concert Series for jazz at the Racine Zoo.
- The Yardarm and John's Dock for fish fry.
- The Racine Theatre Guild and Over Our Head Players (Sixth Street Theatre) for live entertainment.